Monday 1 June 2015

Road to Nationals

So I doing this blog over the course of May, and will post up beginning of June after the Nationals have finished.
Just a log for me mostly, but some might find it interesting.
These games will happen over the course of a month, and remember these are notes, so parts might not make sense.

So starting list

Han, Vi, R2D2, C3P0, Title
2x Blue

Now going into the MK regional I knew this build was coming to the end of its life, but I thought I would make it into the Nationals with this build.. but I finished 24th out of 60 people, which wasnt good, and so I knew it was time to fly something else.

Now I have flown many builds, swarms arc dodgers etc, so lucky I was practised flying many different things.
So I start looking at threats

Big ships- seem to be dying but still a massive threat, includes Han, RAC and IG's
Swarms- not many around but nasty
Phantoms/Soontir- not many phantoms currently, but Soontir is everywhere
Rebel Swarms- 4-5 normally low PS, with BBBBZ being the most popular

Now I am sure there are others, but these are the main ones in my mind.
So I thought I will go with a Rebel swarm with a difference

So my first thought is this

Biggs
2xDagger
2x Tala

Shoots before traditional swarms, low enough PS to block large ships and soontir etc, so I thought I would give it a go and see how it works.

Game 1 (Vassal)-
IGB, HLC, Stay on Target, FCS, Inertial Dampeners, Title, Autothrusters
IGD, HLC, Stay on Target, FCS, Inertial Dampeners, Title, Autothrusters

Started quite well, doing 7 damage to one IG, but after that I couldnt hit a barn door (dam vassal dice and unreal green dice on his part) he killed his own IG on a rock and the other IG just cleaned up from there
Lose 50-100

So not a good start, I think if dice were a bit more average I might of done a bit better, but high agility lists like this were always going to be a struggle for me, will have to have a think, about this.


Game 2 (Vassal)-
So after losing to them, I decided to fly Duel IGs!
My list
IGA, PTL, Adv sensor, Autothrusters, Title, HLC, Dampeners
IGC, PTL, adv sensor, Autothrusters, title, Mango

Vs
Soonir
Whisper
Doom shuttle

So the worst possible match up! Aggressors hate arc dodgers, but it was going well, Soontir gone, shuttle gone, and then I did a red move... forgetting I was already stressed! Bye bye Aggressor off the table! And the other one was shot down soon after, quite annoying as I thought I would of had that.
Lose 58-100
But the Aggressors were so fun to fly, so I might re-think on the rebel swarm and go with the Brobots

Changes...
A gaining shields back is quite nice, specially if I face a swarm, and C's ability is also handy and fun, but I want B in the list.. so I think I will drop C and go with B for the next game.
Also as general B will die first, as A will sit at long range I going to drop PTL off of A and add Lone wolf instead, this also lets me add Dampeners to IGB, so new list.

IGA, Lone Wolf, Adv sensor, Autothrusters, Title, HLC, Dampeners
IGB, PTL, adv sensor, Autothrusters, title, Mango, Dampeners
So starting to like the brobots, lets see how this version goes.

So onto next game

Game 3
Vs
3 Binyre
2 Cartel Spacers
2 Syndicate Thug

Basically with lots of blocking it was a long game, which went to time, he struggle to get shots, and I struggled to shot anything
Lose 44-51

Hmm struggles vs Blockers and I am not liking PTL currently, changes to be made are basically adding predator to both ships and using D for his awesome turn ability.

New list
IGB, Predator, adv sensors, autothrusters, title, Mango
IGD, Predator Adv sensors, autothrusters, title, HLC, Dampeners

Game 4
Vs
Kath
4 Binyre Pirates with Feedback!

To sum this game up, I flew a fully healthed IG off the table with a silly move, so this game was quick
Lose 28-100

Because of my silly mistake it wasnt much of a practice game, so I am keeping the same list at this point

Game 5
Vs
Shuttle, Fleet officer
Soontir, ptl, autothrusters
Rexlar HLC

Well I took down the shuttle and Rexlar but Soontir never took a shot all game, and was able to finish my aggressors
Lose 68-100

Right so I need more firepower to drop ships like shuttles quicker, also need some kind of blockers to deal with ships like Soontir
So lets add some Binyre pirates for next game, while keeping D as his ability was used so many times

New list
IGD Pred, Adv sensors, HLC, Autothrusters, Dampeners
4 x Binyre Pirates

Game 6
VS
Duel IG

A good game, but my HLC let me murder through his Aggressors, and the head-hunters did some nice blocking to
Win 100-24

So good start and a really strong win, the headhunters really made a difference here, so not changes yet.

Game 7
Vs
2 Mango Scyks
3 Thugs with Autoblaster

A quite simple game in the end, using my headhunters as blockers and to cause problems and the HLC just picking off ships quickly
Win 100-0

Simple and nothing to do differently, IGD's ability really helps

Game 8
Vs

Soonit, Jax and a Royal Guard
All with PTL, Stealth, Autothrusters, title

This list won the MK regional and was going to be hard for my list, but with some good blocking and some nice HLC shots the Interceptors soon died.
Win 100-12

Really happy with this build still, and I think I will be taking it to a tournament next week, which is two weeks before the Nationals.

Game 9 (Vassal)
Vs

IGB, PTL, adv sensors, Autothrusters, HLC, Dampeners
Boba. VI, Tactician, Dampeners, Engine

Basically, Boba goes down as does a Headhunterquite early, but then my IG falls (it had taken a alot of shots) and another headhuner.
So his IG on 4 Hull and 1 shields vs 2 of my headhunters, and the chase started! I got a blinded pilot crit on him, but his gunner ability meant it was ignored near enough!
With 2 hull on his IG left I got a crit through to make him PS0, next turn he Looped and a headhunter within range 1, and managed to finish it!
So the 2 headhunters hunted down a IG!
Win 100-76

Hmm, not sure I will change anything here, think I will stick with it again, its doing well currently, even if it did scrap through that game.

Game 10 (Vassal)
Vs
Jax, Shield, PTL, Autothrusters, Title
Sigma, sensor jammer, intel agent, stguim x2

So a good game, but my IG was able to bring the hurt in this game, the IG finished all 3 ships, while the headhunters put a little damage through but mainly there for bait/annoyance and blocking and did their job well before dying.
Win 100-48

I wont make any changes yet, but I notice I might get a low MOV with this list, which could be slightly worrying.

So a nice sunny drive saw me play in a event in Rugby, I took the list I lets see how I go.
Up for prizes was a Spring Kit, table top Han Solo cards, and some vouchers to spend in store!
So lots of goodies to play for!

Game 11 (Game 1 of event)
Vs
Corran Horn
2 A-wings

I forgot to write down upgrades but this game was unreal, he murdered my IG and took out 3 headhunters while the other ran away for a while, after the early exchanges shooting my IG, he never rolled a blank... and my evade dice.... well never rolled anything but blanks!
So a dead IG very quickly, I was able to take a A-wing out, but that was about it,
Not a good start
Lose 28-88


Game 12 (Game 2 of event)
Vs
4 Ties
Darth Vader

Well early exchange saw two of his Ties blown up without me taking a single damage, and the game continued from there, he kept taking all his shots vs the IG and only did 2 damage to him all game
Win 100-0

Game 13 (Game 3 of event)
Vs
Lando
2 Blue squadrons

This was the only Turret at the event, and a list that I believed I could deal with quite well, and I did, both B-wings had died to a lose of two of my headhunters, now because MOV was going to be important, I flew the other 2 headhunters off, and let the IG chase Lando for the rest of the game! And thats what he did!
Win 100-24

So a final placing of 3rd, I am looking at tweaks to this list, and I may even drop the IG all together, as I dont believe I flew it well at all, for something else that I think I can fly better, but I will keep thinking.

So after talking to a few people, I thought I will finally give Dash a try, I have never flown him but lets give it a go!
So my last game in the Vassal league seemed a good time to!

Game 14 (Vassal)
My list
Chewbacca, VI, C3P0
Dash, PTL, Mango, Nien Numb, Title, Engine

Vs
Dash
2 Blues

Now the guy I was playing for this final match is a really good Vassal player and he is very skillful with his Dash and 2 Blue list, which he has been running for a while I believe.
So my goal was to make him split his fire and it worked well, getting Dash down to 3 hull, he was then to far out for a few turns, I got to work killing a blue, and as Dash turned back in, my dash was able to do a boost and barrel roll back into Range 1, he conceded at this point, as in total I had only took 5 damage between both of my ships. I will point out though, I had some very good green dice, and my Dash should of been at least 3-4 life less, if not gone completely.
Win 100-0

So a very good result, and I cant believe it, this guy is a very very good Dash player, I would like to think I flew Dash well, but as pointed out, my green dice had a big impact, but there were a few turns where my Dash arc dodged everything and was able to take free shots.

Hmm I can see why people like the YT-3700 lists.

Game 15 (Vassal)
So I kept the same list, at 99 points its quite handy in the first game being able to give away initiative, and it was massive in this second game! As I gave it away again

Vs
Dash, PTL, Engine, Title, Jan, Mango
Farlander, HLC, PTL, Engine, Adv sensors

so we used 6 debris fields and went on from there, I played very aggressive and put some massive hurt on his Dash within the first 2 engagements and I believe it was the 3rd engagement (4th turn) when dash went down, at this point my Dash hasnt even been touched but Chewbacca has took a few hits.
So a couple of more turns and Chewbacca falls but so does Farlander on the same turn
So Win 100-46

Now Farlander was never able to get a shot on Dash and dash didnt take a single point of damage, now Chewbacca took all the fire, which he is great at doing and it takes the pressure of Dash
Again no changes to my list, as I am still quite happy with how it is playing.

Game 16 (Vassal)
Vs
Dash
2 Blues

100-0 win

Not much to say, except my Dash dodges arcs and stayed inside his HLC doughnut alot, my chewbacca did his job again, and took most of the damage, in fact he took all of it, he was on 4 Hull at the end of the game, while my Dash was untouched.

So this list once again has no changes, I am now only a few days away from the Nationals! So not much time to change anything anyway, so I just hope I can get some good match ups with this list and hopefully I can avoid playing any brobot lists!

So off to Nationals!
If you reading this it is most likely the Nationals have finished with the National Report coming soon :)

Follow me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fishysblog